Tuesday, October 19, 2010

It's NaNoWriMo Time!

NaNoWriMo!

That's right, it's that time of year again!

For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. Every November, a charity called The Office of Letters and Light host a national event that last the entire month. It's simple, really. All you have to do is write a 50,000 word novel in just 30 days! Easy, right?

Now, after that last statement I am almost positive some of you think I am crazy. A 50,000 word novel? In just 30 days? Who does that?! The answer? Not many. Only about 165,000 people. Yeah. In case that HUGE number didn't quite make an impact in numerical form, I said that one hundred and sixty-five thousand people. Of course, not everyone hits the 50,000 mark, but the whole point is to have fun! It doesn't even have to be quality work! In fact, you could write the crappiest 50,000 words you've ever written in your life, but as long as you hit the goal, you're a winner!

And I use the term "winner" loosely. Technically, anyone who hits the 50,000 mark is the winner. And the prize? A PDF certificate and a web badge! And the pride of a job well-done. I mean, come on, you wrote a whole novel in a month! And so what if it isn't your best work? Now, you have as much time as you want to edit it!

I did the math, and if you are one of those people who have to set aside time or set word goals for yourself (like me), to reach the 50,000 mark by midnight on November 30, you only have to write 1,666(.666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666) words a day! Which isn't that many when you really think about it. And what if you are on a role and write like, 3,000 words? Well, you're another day ahead!

So, basically, I encourage all of you to join me in NaNoWriMo! And if you're even a teeny, tiny, itsie bitsie bit unsure, you can get your friends to join you! Just go to http://www.nanowrimo.org/, create an account, and then add your friends as buddies!

Don't have any friends who are willing to participate, but still want a buddy? Well...I have an account! "Buddy" me at http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/679599/.

NaNoWriMo really is a great oppoutunity to write for the fun of it! I really hope you all give it a shot! But for those of you who really would rather write a script for something over a novel...welll keep your eye out for Script Frenzy in April! 30 days, 100 pages...not that hard! Check that out at http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment